Wednesday, January 10, 2007

the dispensary

a package arrived for me and the handwriting was my mothers. she had told me she 'sent me a little something for Christmas' so i grabbed the gift and coveted it for about an hour, pacing the lawn outside the clinic, waiting for the perfect time to see what was inside.

the perfect time would be in solitude, this i knew from experience.

when i had studied abroad, my mom sent me a parcel that was light. i opened it on campus, as students walked by. they were probably wondering why i had a huge granny bra dangling from my fingertips. i quickly tucked it back into its original spot, i wanted to keep it hidden till i got home. unfortunately for me, Ghanaians do not hide curiosity. every person i met on the walk back to my hostel that day asked me what exactly was i holding? i didn't want them to know- or see- mostly due to how gigantic the thing was. it lacked style and was a poor representation of how i wanted to be imagined with my clothes off, if i wanted to be imagined at all. at any rate, it was something a 22 year old should not be wearing, even if it did fit.

the present that i was holding now was just a little heavier. i figured i'd go into the dispensary, where only Vera and Efreeyeh hang out, and unwrap my gift.

when i walked in no one was around. perfect! i quickly scrambled and tore it open. i read the card, was warmed by the contact, and thankfully examined the pictures they sent. it was nice to see familiar faces, even if they were just prints. the glow of the night we took the pictures shone through every ones faces. it had been a great last night. we ate Caesar salad and played Catchphrase with our closest family friends. the choice of game was a little ironic considering i'd be spending the next 6 months trying to have people guess what i was saying. an appropriate send off to say the least.

i finished up my packing with a stomach full of anxiety, but a night well spent with people i love got me through and kept me sleeping. My best friend stayed the night, reminiscent of our childhood sleepovers, except now we slept in separate beds. we had grown.

when i was through with the photos i reached into the padded envelope and pulled out handful after handful of fresh crisp underwear. she had really gone all out, buying funky styles and patterns, all in designer brands.

Vera walked in while my lap was littered in lingerie.

"Christmas!" i explained.

her teeth are as big as Efreeyeh's but placed differently. instead of gapping in the front they fan out, like a hand of cards held upside down. she's small but has a big butt, so i tried to convince her to take a pair. i wanted to spread the Christmas love.

she grabbed some pastel flowered full bottomed undies and wrapped the length of the waist around her neck.

"they're too big!" she laughed and threw them back at me.

she knew the trick! how did she know the trick? i thought only me and my closest girlfriends knew that trick. in fact, i thought we had discovered it.

13 years old and scavenging rummage sales and second hand stores, we'd claim to have found 'the perfect pair of corduroys' which to us, was the equivalent of having just been given a Faberge egg. close to impossible.

we'd wrap the waist around our necks, and if it went around completely and didn't double wrap, they were perfect. that rarely ever happened, but when it did we'd secretly envy the other person and how great their future was about to become because of those pants.

Efreeyeh walked in and gave me her doubtful inquisitive look. she always assumes i am up to no good, or don't understand what is going on- but she likes me, this i know. she thinks i'm funny and foreign, like a new pet hamster.

"who gave you those?" her voice is the next step up from deep, and she speaks bluntly.

"my mom sent them, aren't they cute?"

she agreed, they were sweet. she picked up a pen drive that had fallen out of a wrapped up pair of underwear. "whats this?"

"its for my computer, for when i type."

"ahhhh" she still didn't understand but was pretending like she did. i knew this look because i had become a professional at it.

"i'll show you the next time we are in the office." i said.

"hm, okay."

i didn't let them know i had actually gotten 4 of them. i wanted them to think i was a simple girl, that i really only needed one of everything, except undies.

"your mother loves you too much!" Vera said, she started grabbing my gifts and sprinkling them over my head, again and again, chanting how much my mom loves me and laughing at how ridiculous i looked covered in g-strings.

She and Efreeyeh like to gang up on me and laugh and poke fun. I look forward to time spent in the dispensary because i can relate with them in a youthful fresh sort of way. We talk about life, and love, and which songs on the radio are worthy or not. I sit there, talk, and count pills. I sort and package them and write the instructions for the labels.

Take 2 pills, 3 times daily.

It makes me feel important, esp. when no cases are coming in. I suddenly snap into Ms. Efficient and try to get as many done as possible. I try to let the ladies know that i might not be able to give somebody a shot (yet) but when the time comes to give out medicine i can package it in a jiffy.

The girls just laugh at me and ask if i am tired yet.

"and you will have to learn." Vera says "you will have to learn how to give an injection. let me tell you this. you can't feel other peoples pain. if you feel their pain you won't ever be able to be a midwife. you have to be strong, but not too sensitive. like me, i can prick you with a needle and laugh."

i looked over at Efreeyeh.

"it's true." she chimed.

i looked at them both. i wondered if i'd ever be able stick a needle in someone and laugh. i didn't think so. but then, the point wasn't being made maliciously, it was just a fact. she could do it. i couldn't.

"well when i learn, if i don't learn here, i'll make sure to come back to Boamadumase and stick you both, and laugh."

when we all thought this was funny i knew our friendship was only going to get better.

No comments: